Tuesday, September 17, 2013

Lolita Response #1

At first the forward made me very confused, but then looking back at it I realized that it was indeed Nabokov himself using a pseudonym. He explains that he has been sent to take over the finishing touches on the book because the author has passed away. Ray was going to keep the book more minimalist and keep the anonymity in the book, to keep it from getting out of hand. Ray even mentions that Humbert is in prison for an unnamed crime, where he inevitably passes away. Humbert Humbert even in the first chapter calls the readers of the story the jury, "Ladies and gentlemen of the jury, exhibit number one is what the seraphs, the misinformed, simple, noble-winged seraphs, envied. Look at this tangle go thorns"(pg. 9). He lets you know that it is a messy situation.
The story itself draws me in. I have always loved this story,  even though the situation is not a preferred one. It is a love story. It started when Humbert was a teen, but since she passed away, he has been trying to find her again in others. To me this is very sad, and even though Humbert is an arrogant hebephile, I can't help but feel bad for him. I think that this has to do with the word choice. The poetic language that Nabokov uses creates images in your mind and the reader can envision everything that is happening to him. It also makes me happy when he finally sees Lolita because of his happiness, it is so evident, even though I know what will happen.

No comments:

Post a Comment