Tuesday, September 24, 2013

Lolita Response #3

Reading the ending of Part I went by very fast for me. I was so excited to see what was going to happen, even though I already know the story. I paid very close attention because when Nabokov killed off the wife in The Enchanter I had no idea for a while because he did it so suddenly, he simply called her "the person". If you were not reading close enough, you would never know that she had died. So while reading Lolita I tried to pay close attention to everything that was going to be happening in this part. With Humbert having to face Charlotte after she read his writing entries, followed quite shortly by her death, and then everything that goes on to happen with Lolita. The ending of this part was very fast paced and very captivating.
I noticed that the hotel that Humbert decided to have them reside in was called The Enchanted Hunter, I believe this is most likely a play on words referring to his novella. I noticed a lot of parallels to The Enchanter throughout this book, and I noticed it while reading the novella. I am more excited now, because we have gotten to the point where they are truly going to be different because they are now leaving the hotel, after Lolita gave consent to having sex with Humbert, which surprised the audience almost as much as it did Humbert.

No comments:

Post a Comment